Christoph Morlinghaus SUPERLATIVES

The Media

This is an artistic-photographic of Meyer Werft cruise ships.

The Content

The steel frame supports a room as densely packed as a beehive, the walls are divided into blue, red and purple by the newly forged white stainless steel room in the middle, a vertical row of red steel stairs located in the middle of the picture, patches of rust can still be faintly seen, the red deck is scattered with white scaffolding and piles of dull yellow plastic bags, the triangular dark purple cabin holds this side of the story written on the passenger cabin, the whole cabin looks like a steel building that stands in the centre of the picture. Surrounding the entire hull are interlocking steel frames and racks, as if the hangers are hurriedly moving the pods off the ship.

The Emotional Response

From the outset, this photograph gives a sense of oppression and intimidation, with the strong colour contrast giving a great visual impact, while the bright colours are mixed with antique colours that remind me of the silos I lived in as a child. The dense silos cover the grey sky, while the trees and people’s colourful clothes become the beautiful colours that embellish the silos. It brought back a familiar feeling of memories, but the colours of the photograph were more clear and punchy than the memories, so I chose it at first sight.

Technical Description

The boat has a stainless steel skeleton, perforated iron sheets for the walls and thick stainless steel sheets for the cabin coverings.

Connection

I found this cruise ship had been sailing for many years, and this time it was consolidated and restored to get it out to sea again. This photograph, taken during the renovation of the cruise ship, represents the walls and frames of the past still surviving, with new white stainless steel rooms extending out from the old walls, giving the old ship a new lease of life. It is like a fragment of older wall contained within a newer one. This concept has also been used many times in the renovation of old buildings. I would transform this photo into a new building on an old ship, using the container as the main building, opening up the small deck room and making the ground floor rooms as a whole. The ground floor cabins could be converted into entertainment areas and the upper cabins could be used for work and food, making the whole building an integrated space. I have chosen a brighter colour for the walls of the cabins and a red steel frame for the facade to contrast the building itself with the cabins.