Model Making Reflection

The rebirth of the traditional grand master chair.

When I first received this subject, I thought of the Grand Master Chair at home. This is a very traditional Chinese family chair with a history of over a hundred years. Its upper part is shaped like a wooden scale. It is a symbol of rigidity and solemnity in culture, because its chair back is very straight and people can only sit rail-straight. Reminiscent of the church renovation I saw before, I realized that the Grand Master Chair is not only a furniture symbolizing power, but also vibrant and lovely.

When thinking about materials with vitality, I thought of flowers. There is an old Chinese saying that dead wood meets spring. Beautiful flowers bloom on dead trees, indicating that this tree will be reborn. Therefore, I chose the upper part of the most representative armchair. I checked a lot of information when designing flowers,I was surprised to learn that there are so many different flower arrangements in the world, flower arrangements can also be applied to hats, masks, and even interior design walls and decorations. I wanted to show the layering of the flower arrangement in full bloom on the wooden chair, so I chose dry gypsophila and roses, peonies and other flowers, I arranged them in the shape of the chair. When I arranged the flowers, I borrowed the group flower arrangement method, and I selected different types of flower to form four groups. Gypsophila can well set off the bright colors of peonies and roses. The color transition from the dry gypsophila to the full rose also symbolizes the Taishi Chair gaining new life from the old.

Talking about the spatial design of the mask, I searched for a long time when select the material of the flower plate decorated on the chair post. I see the white plastic plate, which was randomly discarded in the corner. It can prefect coalesce with the flowers, considering about secondary use and protect the environment, I think it is the best material to decorate the chair post. The folds of the chrysanthemum plate in the middle are like layers of stairs, and the gaps between the flowers and the curved petals form small rooms, where people can take a short rest and enjoy the view. The shadows cast by the gypsophila show different shapes over time, giving people more different feelings. The round hole used to fix becomes a beach, which people can hold entertainment in the central sunken plaza.

When talking about my future practice, I hope I can improve my model making ability. Because my ability of combine manual and spatial thinking is much weaker , I don’t know how to transform my imagined space design into exquisite models. I usually make some simple models instead the complex structure, which also limit me to complete some intricate construction. But from this project, I learned how to make a relatively different model, and learned flowers arrangement techniques, I realized I can make more progress on model making. Secondly I want to learn more knowledge about spatial innovate design.

In conclusion, I still have lots of deficiencies in the in-depth project, I also want to improve my design level and make more mature works.